I first ran into Meaghan on Facebook and was immediately impressed with her art. Meaghan is an FX artist, and a damn good one at that. After a quick chat, she was more then willing to let me do an interview.
- Special Effects contains a lot of specialties, what are yours?
- Was there an incident or artist that inspired you to pursue working in FX?
- So, at this point, how long have you been creating FX?
- If you could work with any other artist, model or company, who would it be?
- What are some of the more difficult aspects of working in FX?
- What film do you believe best exemplifies the essence of special effects and why?
- If someone is interested in seeing more of your work, or contacting you, how can they reach you?
Well my first Special Effects work was with masks but as time went on, my work became more about using FX as kind of an accessory…almost like fashion. So I guess things like that…my gartered knees, or the neck appliances or the eye patch style prosthetic…are really my specialty. Creating art and fashion out of gore.
When I still lived in Michigan I started working in haunted houses and was finding old dummies and cutting the faces off and painting them to make masks…plus, all of my other art was always gory…So a friend told me I should get into FX. It seemed like a huge undertaking but I did some research, went into the local supplier, got a bunch of supplies and books and videos…and got to it.
Since about 2006, so 4 years now.
I’d love to do FX for high fashion or something…somewhere it wouldn’t normally belong.
Getting motivated. haha. Its a lot of work and a lot of mess but once I get an idea in my head, it tends to burst out in once long creative session.
I could never think of a good answer for this one! There are so many great artists out there doing really awesome work…I would have to discount one by naming another. And there are different uses…heavy gore or genius execution or creative character makeup…its a tough question because there are so many awesome examples of it out there.
My portfolio is on OpenWoundFX.com and you can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org, Thanks!